What if jss start in command prompt returns blank

The Voice-over

As part of setting up Sitecore JSS in disconnected mode in a Docker-less environment, I realised that various components and plugins are required for the site to run in disconnected mode. This blog is about how I found it.

First, the picture


Note: To find the complete list of plugins/components, you can check the src\temp folder:



The Story

So, as part of setting up Sitecore JSS in disconnected mode, like any studious developer, I read the jss github readme and executed npx create-sitecore-jss

Create JSS App: 



Once the cmd prompt returned, I tried "jss start" but nothing happened and yes, I went to event viewer checking for any clues without much help:


All "seemed" good in node_modules folder but installation didn't seem to be ready for jss start:


The desperado

I did all the shenanigans like a desperate developer except turning the computer upside down: 

1. Since my node version was 14.x.x, updated to latest but still the jss start wasn't yielding any result (up and close):


2. As any diligent developer, without giving up, I opened a new VM, new directory and a new cmd prompt but still my attempt was a failure! 

The renaissance

I made a strong tea and came back but this time, tried different options during the npx create-sitecore-jss install.

Most importantly, I selected "a" or toggle all option for "Would you like to include any add-on initializers?" since during the earlier attempts, a lazy me went default by pressing the enter key!


I then went by the default for the next language question:


The Glimmer

This time, I could see the cmd prompt providing a green signal for jss start:


Of course, the site was accessible at localhost:3000:


The Lesson

So, the summary of this blog is, if you see the jss start command coming back blank, you haven't selected the correct option to install add-ons since it is a pre-requisite, needed for jss to run in disconnected mode. Juxtaposed folder where the application is working fine vs jss doesn't work in disconnected mode:



The Proof

Components and plugins installed as part of the selection:



Content from data folder:



Comments

Popular Posts